Sunday, September 28, 2008

The Great Buddha

Early Friday, September 26, I headed off to Kamakura to see the "Daibatsu" or "Great Buddha".  It was no disappointment, this buddha was the biggest I've ever seen.  It was marvelous.  It's about 30 feet tall.  And you can enter inside it for 20 yen.  Its made of bronze (wiki link).
From Japan
Then I walked to one of Kamakura's beaches,  Yuigahama Beach.  Its no resort beach.  The sand is dark and quite a few debris and sea weeds.  But the waves are intimidating.  They seemed very violent and windy.  Surfers seem to enjoy it.  I rolled up my jeans and enjoyed soaking my feet for a few minutes.
From Japan

Next, I headed up to Tsurugaoka Hachiman-gu (wiki link).  Its a beautiful temple.  It was built high above Kamakura with a long flight of stairs to climb.  Over there, we left a prayer in Tagalog and English on a small wooden board for 200 yen (wiki link).
From Japan

After along day trip, the most grueling was a trip to...  Costco!!!  These guys built their warehouse in the middle of nowhere in Kanazawa Seaside.  So far from the subway station, it was inconvenient especially when you don't have your own car and you have to transport bulk groceries.  Costco, I hate you!

No comments: