Thursday, September 11, 2008

The First Ten Days Report (9/1-9/10)

Since my arrival here in Tokyo, it’s been a blast.  The first three days I was in culture shock. I was trying to learn about the life in Japan, their customs, what I should follow, and how to get around.  So I was very hesitant at first as I preferred to watch my cousins and other people on how they go about doing things.  But I learned them quickly and adopted them right away because Tokyo is a fun place to be. 

Japan Notes. This is what I learned in Japan (and a little explanation with it):  There is usually a line (up the escalator, waiting for a bus, buying train tickets).  Walk on the left side (everybody does and expects you to).  Avoid touching other people (avoid bumping into them or touching them to call their attention).  Place your money in the tray when paying (your money is honored so you lay it down on the tray at the register).  Sort your trash and place recyclables in their proper bin (at home and even in malls and public places you will notice rows of trash cans with labels on which trash goes to which container).  Speak English in very short phrases (many of the words they use are English words with Japanese pronounciation, so they will often pickup those words in what you say).

Glitzy Tokyo. Tokyo has big tall buildings and lots of lights and Big TV screens everywhere.  In other times, you will notice how every land space is used and maximized.  You will notice how buildings are merged with the overhead tracks or roads.  Tokyo is breathe-taking all the time.  The problem is how to capture that exhilaration in a photograph.

Humor and Oddities. There are funny and uncommon things I see all around.  You have seen a few of them in my blogs but there are more that I could not capture the significance in my photographs.  Their English translations (“Engrish”) are often funny and/or ridiculous.  Their over the top outfits and costumes. Their cars and trucks are miniaturized.  Their shops are small and cute.  Their appliances are small and cute too.

Exploring Tokyo these last ten days has been a lot of fun. And there are many more that I haven’t been to.  I may not know everything about Tokyo in one month but I have already alot experiences and memories of Tokyo so far.

No comments: