Thursday, September 11, 2008

The Capsule Hotel

I found a capsule hotel (wiki link) in Shimbashi area and I immediately checked in.  There were no regular capsules ($40), only  VIP capsules ($50). Capsule hotels give people who only plan to sleep overnight an affordable option with sufficient comforts.  After you check in, you go to the locker room to change into your sleeping robe (linen material like hospital robe), store your clothes and locked it.  Then you can use the communal washroom complete with toothbrush and toothpaste provided to you in a packet. 
From Japan
After that, I proceeded to my capsule space (a Tokyo native friend compared it to a dog kennel).  Inside there is console control with Alarm, lights, and TV controls for the small 8-inch TV inside aswell as pillows and comforter blanket.  I pulled down the door/shade and slept (here is a picture of me in my Hugh Heffner impersonation).
From Japan
From Japan
I kept waking up because it was hot inside (later, I would find out others left their door partly open so that the Air Conditioning would seep in).  After my 4 hours of sleep in that life-fullfilling capsule, I used the washroom to wash my face, changed to my clothes, returned the keys to my locker, and left.  A vacation quest completed!

2 comments:

Richard Lillis said...

This sounds like a very interesting experience; glad you found one to try out.

Ian Owa Lim Platon said...

Yeah even my cousin in Japan wants to try one out now. We might try the one in Geek land, Akihabara, has wireless internet available. Might be cramped in there but I gotta be hooked up.