Sunday, October 5, 2008

The Onsen Quest

I haven't posted in three days because I traveled north of Tokyo to Morioka.  Another area popular to tourists for their many onsens (wiki link).  I went to an onsen hotel Hotel Mori no Kaze Oshuku (hotel link).  I wasn't sure if I was in the right place because it looked more like a hotel and thought that it would only be exclusive to their hotel guests.  Luckily, I whipped out my fluent Japanese to locate someone who speaks English.  Then, I was whisked away with a large towel and a small hand towel in my arms.
From Morioka Onsen
  I entered the Onsen locker room and took a few minutes to orient myself to the surroundings.  I chose a cubicle shelf to place my items and clothes and a small locker to place my valuable items.
From Morioka Onsen
  By now, I was fully naked with only a hand towel for modesty.  It is important to thoroughly wash yourself and rinse the soap off before entering the hot pools.  There are many pools to choose from but there seems no to be no difference in the temperature except for one that was freezing cold which I avoided.  I chose the outdoor pool at the balcony with a stunning view of the mountains.  In somewhat chilly weather, the hot spring water was gruelingly hot.
From Morioka Onsen
   I could see the floating mosses that would come up from the spring.  They are few but they are said to give the hot spring its skin nourishing quality.  I endured the heat for about 20 minutes and then I had to step out and cool off.   I did that a couple more times until an hour later when the last bus back to Morioka Station was set to leave.   I then washed up and went to the grooming area where they had razors, Q-tips, clean hair brushes, blower, perfume, after shave, etc., to look my shapest again.  
From Morioka Onsen
Afterwards, I got my camera and hid it in my dry towel and quietly (unconspiciously) took pictures of the onsen when the coast was clear (I'm sorry onsen authorities there was no malice intended).  I finished up getting dressed and I can now claim another life quest completed. "Experience Onsen In Japan" badge awarded.  After the onsen bath, I felt very tired as if I turned into soft dough or like a blur with a smile on my face (thanks, lousy photographer). 
From Morioka Onsen
 Video Link of Onsen Hotel.

No comments: